Many people will be surprised to read that I’ve been losing weight lately. The surprising part is my workout consists of nursing, chasing Morgan/Shelby, cooking, going on a few walks a week and the main weight loss factor, the stairs.
As I ran up our 12 steps to the second floor for the 15th time since I woke up this morning, and it was only noon, I couldn’t help but laugh at the fact that this two-story business is getting my calves and butt muscles in shape…slowly, but surely. With that, I was curious how many steps I hiked up daily.
Between Greg’s tonsillectamy (aka me playing Nurse Sarah), tending to the girls, and tending to Shelby’s inability to go to bed the moment I put her in her room (wandering around), I bet you I go up and down those stairs roughly 40 times a day, easy. Whether someone needs shoes, left their baby, can’t sleep, wants a drink…it never fails that as soon as I get upstairs/downstairs, I have forgotten something and have to make the trip again.
So, the accountant/business part of my brain quickly wondered how many steps am I going up and down each day? Here goes:
- 12 steps x 40 times = 480 steps a day
- That’s 1.6 times up and down the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- That’s 2.7 times up and down Holy Hill.
- That’s 1.4 times up and down Big Ben.
- 10 calories are burned for 1 minute of ascending and 7 calories are burned for 1 minute of descending stairs. On average, it takes me 10 seconds to go up and down the stairs. So, that’s 2.83 calories per route for me.
- 2.83 calories per route x 40 times = 113 calories.
After calculating that, I realize it is not much…but it warrants that piece of chocolate I give myself each day
2 comments:
You are hilarious! I'll try to not dread gong up and down all day so much anymore. I hate when I forget things!
Grandma Hood says: You are amazing.Always thinking of a positive outcome for all that you do.I need to go up and down stairs more instead of trying to consolidate trips. Hope Greg is improving and will soon be back to his great self. We love your family. Grandma Hood
Post a Comment