Friday, April 30, 2010

Double Space

For those of you who do not know, Greg started school this past fall.  Yes, he is a proud attendant of Cardinal Stritch University where he is seeking out his Bachelor’s of Business Management. 

Of course, being the homework nut that I am (I love writing papers), I always am willing to lend a hand to Greg when he needs it.  Usually, because I am such a super fast typist (avg. 80WPM), I offer to type while Greg talks.  It is a fun way for me to help without having to think!:)

A few months ago, Greg started scolding me for putting two spaces after the period.  I would snottily remind him that I’ve been through undergraduate AND GRADUATE school and NEVER ONCE did any teacher ever say to me that I had to stop putting two spaces after a period.  I mean, I remember back in the day when I was learning to type and the program would down grade you if you only put one space.

As I sit here today, I am still super mad that his school makes him only do one space.  It’s like re-learning how to walk for me!  So, I did some research tonight as to why it is even two spaces and this is what I found:

It is generally accepted that the practice of putting two spaces at the end of a sentence is a carryover from the days of typewriters with monospaced typefaces. Two spaces, it was believed, made it easier to see where one sentence ended and the next began. Most typeset text, both before and after the typewriter, used a single space.

Well, there you have it.  I still think two spaces looks better than one space.  Poo Poo to his university for making me re-learn how to type!!!

4 comments:

SueAnn said...

I still do 2 spaces too. Old habits die hard. I also think it looks better!

Lindsey said...

I thought it was grammatically correct to put two spaces after a period. I swear in a English class I took at BYU we went over spaces and how two spaces is the correct way to space after a period. Anyway, you keep doing what you're doing girl!

K P said...

Don't believe everything that you read on wikipedia.

Also, I'm still curious about the whole mullet thing.

Jalissa said...

THATS SOOOO stupid! It's two spaces!